What is a psychotherapist?

In Ontario a psychotherapist is a professional licensed by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) to provide psychotherapy services.

Professional titles can vary in different provinces or states. In Ontario mental health services are primarily provided by psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, psychotherapists, and social workers. Some nurses and occupational therapists are also able to provide counselling and psychotherapy.

What is psychotherapy?

Psychotherapy is essentially “talk therapy” to support mental health and well-being. There are many different approaches to therapy, such as cognitive-behavioural therapy, and many different educational pathways therapists take to learn and refine their skills. A good place to learn more about psychotherapy is the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) website https://www.crpo.ca/

What do I do if I have a bad experience with a registered psychotherapist?

If you have had a bad experience or have a concern about a registered psychotherapist working in Ontario, you can contact CRPO https://www.crpo.ca/filing-a-complaint-about-a-member/

Are your services covered by my extended health benefits?

Every benefit plan is different. To find out if you have coverage, you can call your provider, your employer/HR department, look in your benefits booklet, or check your account online with your EHB provider (app or website). Counselling and psychotherapy services are usually listed under “paramedical” coverage (where you would find information about massage therapy and physiotherapy). It is important to note what type of mental health professional is covered under your plan, as it will specify if services must be provided by a psychologist, psychotherapist and/or social worker to qualify for reimbursement. There should also be information about how much coverage there is for a session, as well as the maximum coverage for the benefit year.